On a more up beat note, I finally extended the basking log with the great log I found recently. I wanted to put the log perpendicular with the existing basking log, but I decided it would look and probably work better if it extended straight off the existing log.
The new log is completely hollow. I was able to slip it over the end of the existing log and the screw it in place with a few 3″ deck screws. The first time it was used (at least that I witnessed was the picture to the left. Martha found one of the several underwater openings in the log.
The hope is they’ll be able to use it as an additional hiding spot which will hopefully keep any tension between the two little guys down. So far I’ve seen all 3 of them peaking out like Martha is doing in the first picture. The little guys fit completely in the opening, but I haven’t been able to get a picture of them in it yet.
Pascal still uses the original basking log, but Sweeney and Martha seem to only use the new log. Today I watched Pascal as he investigated the basking area in the same manner that Martha did a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to watch what he was doing. Any time he noticed me watching him, he’d scamper off back to the water. He investigated it at least 4 times while I was watching him.
I spotted one of the frogs out and about today, just a short time before Pascal went investigating, so I’m curious if he was looking for the frog. Probably not since they don’t eat out of the water, but they can drag prey back to the water for a meal. I still find it so funny that it has taken them so long to discover the basking area.